*DISCLAIMER* This is a sponsored post on behalf of Sunstar GUM Brand. All opinions are my own. This post may contain affiliate links.
The dentist. Dun Dun Dunnnnn! It seems I always hear that dreaded tune whenever I just THINK about going to the dentist. Lucky for me I have a dentist I love but when I moved it was in the back of my mind that I was never going to find one that put me at ease. I’ve always been worried about my teeth and dental health since my mom had issues at a very young age. I’m no spring chicken, being in my 30’s, and I worry about my health quite often. Every time I go I cringe if I have a cavity because I don’t want to disappoint my dentist!
Did you know that about half of Americans 30 and older have gum disease? WAIT! But what is gum disease and why should I worry about it? The two main categories of gum disease are Gingivitis (build up of dental plaque) and periodontitis (destruction of tissue around teeth) which can range from mild to severe. Gum disease can change the appearance of your mouth and weakens support for your teeth and it can also be linked to diabetes, heart disease and other illnesses. The main cause of inflammation in the gums is an accumulation of dental plaque, which can cause tooth loss, receding gums, tooth sensitivity and pain. Sunstar GUM is launching the Why Do #YourGumsMatter campaign to promote healthy gums!
Look at this video from GUM Brand that shows why gum health is important!
I’ve listed 5 tips to help your family prevent gum disease:
- See your dentist on a regular basis. Most recommend twice a year but if you think you have a cavity or sensitivity go anytime!
- TAKE YOUR KIDS TO THE DENTIST!! A lot of pediatric dentists have FREE checkups for kids under 24-36 months. I had no clue about this until I called for my oldest son regarding his front tooth that was bruised. These programs are in place to help your kids get acquainted with their dentist and to have a good experience.
- Floss BEFORE you brush and at least twice a day. This is a tip from my dentist. He also told me to just keep one of the flossers right next to my chair at night and just pick it up and floss while I watch tv.
- Eat a balanced diet. You know, follow the food pyramid and don’t eat junk. If you do then make sure to brush and floss afterwards of course.
- Don’t smoke. Need another reason to quit? Not only does smoking stain your teeth, smokers are at a greater risk of developing periodontal disease.
One reader will be randomly chosen to win a GUM Brand Prize Package! Includes 1 Technique Deep Clean Toothbrush, 2 bags of Flossers, 1 package of Proxabrush Go-between cleaners in Tight, 1 package of Soft-Picks and eez-thru floss. ($25 ARV) Open to Continental US residents only who are 18 or older. Begins on 05/22/2015 at NOON EST and ends on 05/29/2015 at 11:59 pm EST. Void where prohibited. The Kids Did It is NOT responsible for prize fulfillment if a sponsor fails to ship prize. Allow 6-8 weeks for prize delivery. Post and or Rafflecopter may contain affiliate links. One entry per person per IP address. Entries are verified. Winners will have 24 hours to respond to email and fill out form or another person will be chosen. No purchase necessary.