On the TWELFTH day of Christmas The Kids Did It brought to you …Sugar Cookies! We know it’s less than two weeks and Christmas and we also know that you may not have a lot of time to spend hours in the kitchen baking. I love semi-homemade cooking and so does Sandra Lee! These super easy sugar cookies let you use store bought cookies but uses a homemade icing. If you’d like to bake your own try Olivia’s recipe for Spiced Sugar Cookies!
Click here for fun cookie cutter shapes!
There is no exact science to this recipe. No exact measurements. that being said it is pretty fool-proof. I’ve made this dozens of times and it’s always been delicious!
- 2-3 dozed sugar cookies, any kind you like, completely cooled
- 4 tablespoons (half a stick) butter or margarine, melted
- 1-2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract (imitation can be used, but the flavor is better with the real thing)
- 2lb bag of powdered sugar (you probably won’t use the entire bag)
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- food coloring (optional)
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt your butter.
- Once melted, add vanilla. I usually just dump some in straight from the bottle, but a good guess-timation would be about two tablespoons. It will turn your butter a golden brown, that should be plenty! Gently whisk together.
- Start adding the powdered sugar by the quarter cup.
- Continue adding sugar and whisking together.
- Once it starts getting thick add milk, a tablespoon at a time. This will also smooth the icing out.
- Continue adding sugar and whisking until you get a consistency similar to toothpaste. You should have a lovely golden off-white color.
- Add a few drops of food coloring, if you like. Whisk until combined.
- Generously frost each cookie.